Your Family, Your Home, and Mold Problems

Molds Inside the House at Salt Lake CityWhile mold spores seem small and harmless, they can actually make your entire family sick. In fact, according to a report from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), all types of mold can cause ill health, with the severity of the symptoms depending on a person’s general health, age, and extent of exposure.

Mold, for the most part, can become a problem if the contamination at home has become extensive. This is because when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can cause asthma episodes, allergic reactions, and other respiratory problems. Exposure to airborne mold spores can also lead to the development of allergy to mold.

Exposure to Indoor Mold

Mold damage experts in Salt Lake City notes that exposure can cause health problems when they are inhaled in a large number. Some can also be exposed through eating and even skin contact. For some, a relatively small number of mold spores can cause a problem. For others, however, it may take a lot more. The best thing you can do is that if you smell and see it, you need to remove the mold and find ways to eliminate extra moisture.

Mold Problems at Home

If you see mold or if you smell some sort of musty or earthy odor, you probably have mold problems. It is also a good idea to look for water damage behind walls or leaching from plaster. Moisture is what allows mold to thrive and multiply. A common source of indoor moisture includes flooding, leaky roof, backed-up sewers, steam from cooking, and humidifiers.

Eliminate Mold

If you decide to handle mold problems on your own, you need to wear gloves when doing the cleanup. The use non-ammonia detergent or soap in hot water is also ideal. You also to need to wear the type of protective clothing that can be easily cleaned or discarded. For a more challenging cleanup that includes removal of carpeting or cleaning a flooded home, expert help is much preferable.

Don’t let mold compromise your and your family’s health. Take steps to eliminate moisture or contact experts to help you with mold contamination.